About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to a small snapshot of what life's like inside my little corner of the world. I'm Shelly, I have a satisfying career and I'm shackled to my supurb husband. I'm the step-monster to his stylish son and together we have two stunningly beautiful daughters - Sugar and Spice, two stubborn dogs and a squawking bird. These are just some of the stories of my life.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

When Pigs Fly


They're droppin' like flies!

These days, everyone seems to know someone who's had it.

I'm talking about the swine flu.

We went through about a three week period of illness in the Shell household. Sugar had "not the flu" then Spice got sick with a high fever - also diagnosed as "not the flu", then Sugar got sick again and we took her back to the doctor only for her to be diagnosed with the flu.

After hearing several comparable stories from friends and co-workers, I became convinced that the flu tests they give in the doctors office aren't very accurate and my manager confirmed my suspicions when she had to take her girls to the doctor with flu like symptoms and the doctor actually told her that those tests have about a 30% accuracy rate.

Meanwhile, a good friend of mine had a similar situation going on in her household. First her son got "not the flu" and about a week later she was taking him back to the doctor with no improvement. Then she got sick with "not the flu" - but her niece was diagnosed with the flu.

I was talking to her, trying to convince her that the doctors were wrong and that she did in fact have the flu when it happened again.

You see, every time she stays home sick a bird somehow ends up getting stuck in her fireplace - and I'm usually talking to her when it happens.

She said that he had been in there for a while and he was annoying the crap out of her, but she just didn't feel like dealing with letting him out.

I told her to just tell him he better get out of there before she gave him the flu

"No wait!" I said, "He'll give YOU the bird flu and you'll give HIM the swine flu...and then pigs really will fly."

And there you have it, folks! How diseases transfer from animal to human and human to animal.

Glad I could clear that up for you. :)

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Are you guys getting swine flu over there too? I thought the main epidemic was here in the UK. They sent out invitations to have our kids immunised, but I had a real bad feeling about it, so I'm not doing it. But I'll be looking out for those flying pigs and think of you. ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be a stranger - please leave a comment. They make me smile :)